Maria 2020: Commitment

Happy New Year everyone!

Everyone is posting about their intents and resolutions and non-resolutions on Instagram, but there is also another thing that people talk about in regards to the new year: themes. Pick a word, and use that as your theme for the year.
As a teacher I am all about S.M.A.R.T. goals, but that is because I only have a specific period of time - ten months - with my kids. Timelines and deadlines when it comes to my personal goals have always been my downfall and I never really accomplish my resolutions. Last year, I even tried to break it down month by month and make smaller goals, but that failed spectacularly.

This year, I am definitely going to try the word as theme tactic. This year, my word is:



I like the idea of choosing a word as a theme for the year because it generalizes the concept of resolutions and goals under one common umbrella as opposed to making it feel more constricted, which is what resolutions have always made me feel. Having a word as your yearly theme means that what you want to do in the coming year can fall under that umbrella, and how it is accomplished is really up to you.

I think this provides a lot more flexibility and leeway if you need it. If you want to accomplish a goal within a certain time frame, then go right ahead and set that timeline, but if it doesn't work out, placing that goal within the guise of your theme might take the sting away from not accomplishing that goal.

One of the things that I really want to work on is if I say something or want to do something, I want to commit to it and follow through. This is applicable to all aspects of my life, and I am hoping that it means that I get more out of this year than in previous years especially in these areas:

FINANCE: Commit to saving and ending unnecessary and frivolous spending.

FAMILY: Commit to doing more fun things out of the house with Mel and Julian on the weekends, and travel to NYC/Greece to see family.

SOCIAL: Commit to seeing my friends in Colorado outside of work and daycare pickup settings. Playdates, Girls Nights Out, anything goes!

MARRIAGE: Commit to doing more things with Mel, "just us" be it watching a movie after bedtime, or even working on a puzzle or a game. Maybe try for a monthly date night.

PERSONAL: Commit to reading 50 books, getting into a workout routine, sticking to Weight Watchers, knitting/crafting more - in general, commit to treating myself better.

Of course, each of these warrants their own plan and breakdown, but all of it falls under the theme. I definitely chose the word "Commitment" because I want to form better habits for myself and my family in 2020.

Cheers to the new year! What is your theme for 2020? 

No comments