Make it with Michaels: Holiday Home Tour Part 2

Stockings (Hamilton Plaid, similar) and Glass Trees (Large on left, Medium on right): Pottery Barn (yay rewards!) * Garland: DIY with materials from Michaels (see below for details) * Stocking Holders: Target

Welcome to part 2 of the Holiday Home Tour - the living room! Part 1 is here, in case you missed it.

I want to start with the mantel because I really really love it. I was inspired by the garland Gray Malin placed over his fireplace mantel, and decided to DIY that myself. This year we added a tv over the fireplace, so  a garland with our two glass trees provided the focal point that I wanted, considering the limited space I had on the sides with the garland in place and tv mounted. 

Source: Gray Malin

I used artificial garland I already had in the holiday decor boxes from Michaels, and first connected about 3 of them together to give me the length I needed; I didn't get as much "drape" to the floor like in the inspiration photo simply because I was worried it wasn't going to be long enough. I figured I would make it as long as I could and then worry about the length later. 

I then twisted around additional garland to the base to "fluff" it up, and wrapped Christmas lights around it (it was one length of it). We had 3 fancier garlands (similar) from Michaels for our mantle last year, so I laid that on top of the garland to give it some texture and make it look less fake and fill it out more. Then I topped it off with 2" wired ribbon to give some color. 
The red of the stockings and ribbon pop really nicely (and that blue stripe on the foot! Love it), and works well with the pillow covers I have for our couch. I actually got the pillows in the wrong size (covers were too big), but fixed that with my sewing machine to fill in the inserts nicely. 
Navy Tweed Chesterfield couch (similar) and white pillows: Bassett * Red Pillows (similar) and Coffee Table: Pottery Barn * Rug: Costco (!! Got it as a dupe for this rug)
Chair, side table (similar) and pillow covers: Pottery Barn. Usually we have these two chairs with the table in the middle, but the tree and new layout shifted things around a bit. 

The console table in the background that holds our Christmas village (my mother sent out some of her vintage pieces last year) was made by Mel; the topiaries at the end are another DIY from me. I happened to come across the topiaries at Michaels and used some floral foam, moss, hairspray and the terracotta vases to make them. The total cost for each one was about $10, which is way more affordable compared to similar ones I have seen. I am still debating on if I should paint the vase part white or gray, or to leave them alone.
The photos above really do not show what our living room is like on a regular day; now that we have the tv over the fireplace, we hang out here a lot more, so you definitely see Julian's toys strewn about! To protect the couch and the chairs, we have these covers from Amazon.
Hope you enjoyed the Holiday Home Tour. How are you decorating for the holidays?

No comments