No Shop January: Style Update Week 1

I have a confession to make.

During the 75FLASH sale at J.Crew yesterday, I made a purchase. I bought the Beaded Clasp sweater.

But that was it. I was tempted by other things since the prices are so good, but I stuck to what was on my list.


This sweater caught my eye during the Black Friday Pre-Sale, but I was not going to pay full price for it. I knew that it would go on sale and considering my experience with J.Crew and the Navy Leopard dress from earlier this year (it was sold out, restocked, sold out, so I kept stalking and then got it in my size and for about 62% off - thanks 7th grade math for teaching percentages and proportions!), I knew it would go on a steeper discount.

I had planned to purchase it in the after Christmas sale, but still couldn't justify it in terms of cost. For the sake of transparency, the sweater was originally $128 and with the post Christmas sale, it was $72. I purchased it for $50.

So, sometimes, waiting pays off even if the timing isn't quite right. I have to admit - I feel a little guilty since I am trying really hard and talking so much about #noShopJanuary, and trying to hold myself accountable for purchasing things.

I got it in the XL since the L was sold out (and then it was back in stock and only as a "Final Sale,") and considering most of J.Crew's sweaters were so fitted this season, I am thinking it will fit - and if it is truly that bad, I can return it (I purchased it before the "Final Sale" stamp was slapped on it). Nevertheless, I think it will make a good slouchy sweater.

That being said (and off my chest), here is a roundup of my #nopshopJanuary outfits which are all from my closet and my thoughts around them:

Friday Night: Dinner at Surena -
I purchased this J.Crew Factory corduroy jumper dress using J.Crew Rewards - it was on sale and then another 60% off clearance so it was only $2! A corduroy jumper dress (and one in yellow) was a bit of a risk for me, but with a tissue turtleneck and Frye boots (these are the Dorados and 6 years old) it actually worked together. It also means I can wear Tippi Sweaters with this too. The plush shearling vest is one that is getting a lot of wear and I was so glad it came back this season. I bet it will be back next year, if you missed out.

Saturday: Errands -
It was super warm in Denver on Saturday (55 degrees!) so I layered up with my gingham puffy vest (old J.Crew circa Fall 2015) and eyelet hem sweatshirt. I also have the sweatshirt in a dusty pink and it's one of those tops that are fun and you want them in a ton of colors. Khakis are the J.Crew High Rise Slim Boy Fit Chino and I LOVE them.

I have a hard time finding khakis that fit because of my calves - skinny ones are too tight in the calves and saggy in the thighs, so these are the perfect cut for someone who wants a slim khaki but has trouble like me. The Rothys are perfect for running about.

Wednesday: School -
I LOVE this outfit - its fun and so polished, and a fresh switch from all the plaid of the holiday season. I was inspired by @simply_elsa with her all white look and leopard shoes, so put this together with the curvy slim button down from J.Crew (no button gap! I got a tall so I would have more length to wear it untucked like a tunic), old Factory shoes, the sweater blazer and a Tuckernuck scarf.

The video on how to tie scarves from Tuckernuck is definitely going to make me wear more of the scarves this season. I got this one for Christmas and found another for $15 during their Black Friday sale.

The sweater blazer is becoming such a staple layer that works with so much in my closet - I am glad I got the J.Crew and not the Factory version because the fiber content is different between the two (merino wool vs. cotton; but this can also depend on your climate - if I lived in the South, I would get the cotton one).

This is definitely an investment piece if you can swing it; usually for investment pieces I get it from J.Crew if I have a choice between the two (especially when it comes to "larger" pieces like coats and jackets).

Thursday: School -
This whole outfit is a far departure from my typical navy! The bubble sleeve cardigan is highly controversial (I like it, my sister hates it). The shirt is from Rochelle Behrens via Tuckernuck and pants are the pull on Jamie pants from J.Crew Factory. I love the pants - I am between sizes, so I went down a size and plan on getting the black and navy ones in the future. Flats are old J.Crew (the Gemma flat - I had to size up to a 10 because of the point).

Overall, one thing I was trying to do this school year was definitely try new things besides my typical skinny jeans + top + ballet flats combo. Corduroy, monochrome, khakis and pull on pants (in olive no less!)are definitely out of my comfort zone, and it was great pulling these outfits together from my closet due to the #noshopJanuary challenge. While I did purchase the sweater, the challenge is really helping me be more conscientious of what I have, and come up with new combinations and ideas that keep my closet fresh and exciting as opposed to running to my online shopping cart. 

Let me know if you are participating in the challenge! Are you staying strong? Finding new inspiration? 

No comments