That Colorado Life: Patagonia Jackets

By the end of my first winter in Colorado, I was sprinting across the parking lot at my school in the early mornings without a jacket when it was going to be in the 60s, but my first winter was a fluke. Subsequent winters have proved to be more "typical." It's why I traded in my Subaru Impreza for a Nissan Rogue - with all the snow especially in my neck of the woods, I needed more clearance.

I also needed a good jacket - one that can keep me warm, look stylish, and work with the crazy Colorado temperature swings. And work for outdoor activities as well.
New York City winters are BRUTAL. It is a wet cold, so you need a coat that will definitely stave off that feeling that seeps into your bones and just stays there. That involves full length puffer coats and thick wool coats, and lots of layers.

I never really liked puffer coats or jackets; the ones I knew of were by The North Face and overly puffy (anyone remember the puffer bombers of the late 90s?).

I had a Columbia Bugaboo jacket as a kid and when I started working and buying my own clothes, I gravitated to the J.Crew coats. I got the Chateau Parka in 2013 when it first came out and still own it, along with the Car Coat of 2008/9 and the Plaid Peacoat of 2004/2005.

I was always that person that had one jacket and one coat and that was it. NYC weather was pretty predictable growing up and in college, so there wasn't a need for so many coats and jackets.

Colorado? Well the saying goes that you can experience all four seasons in one day and I believe it, and experienced it. Denver is at 5280 feet, as well as the town where my school is, but where I live is 1000 feet higher, and altitude plays a pretty big role in what the weather is like. Snow days are particularly tricky to call because where I live its the snowpacalypse, and where my school is, nothing is happening.

So that means varied coats and jackets. When I moved out here, my coworkers at my old school teased me for my winter getup: beanie, scarf, mittens (handknit, naturally), and my chateau parka with layers underneath.

All to walk 50 feet across the parking lot.

For Christmas and my birthday this year, Mel got me the Patagonia Down With It jacket. Black is no longer available (which is strange), but I do like the other colors! Mel, Julian and I definitely go to Patagonia these days for our winter outerwear, mainly because of the quality, warranty and mission of the company.
It took us coming out to Colorado to really learn more about Patagonia - Patagonia has an amazing warranty, which makes the price point worthwhile. This definitely falls under the "it's pricier, but will last a really long time" category.

If it ever rips or tears, you can get the jacket (or vest, or Better Sweater, etc.) repaired. Julian's winter jacket is the one splurge we make in his wardrobe because kids grow fast; however, his 18-month version of the jacket lasted till he was 3! We generally size up for him.

Their mission and commitment to sustainability and transparency also makes it worthwhile - you can trade in used gear in good condition for credit, and I like knowing that my money goes towards supporting that mission. Mel got their Recycled Cashmere sweater for Christmas and the quality is amazing - definitely a thick fabric, so no skimping on quality and the fit is tailored, but still flexible.
As for the jacket, it definitely is a slim fit. I would size up if you want to wear bulkier sweaters (and kinda wish I did actually) or more layers underneath. For context, I know a lot of people say to size up in the Better Sweater full zip but I didn't need to, and neither did my sister for her 1/4 zip. That being said, life here is such that most days I sprint across parking lots, so I am not freezing, and I prepare accordingly for when I am outside more.
I also wore this jacket while skiing and it makes a great ski jacket if you don't own a one specifically for skiing. Despite the slim fit, I can move well in it and I am not limited in the shoulders. It also survived two crashes, while my ski pants did not. The new Patagonia Denver store has a room dedicated to ski and snowboard gear and when the time comes, I definitely want to try them out.

No comments