What's on My Nightstand: Dear Girls

Finished a few books recently! I am currently 3 out of 50 on my Goodreads Challenge for 2020. Here is an update: 

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (audio): this was a hard listen, and not because it was boring. Neil DeGrasse Tyson's voice is very melodic and smooth, but some of the information was definitely over my head - I never took physics in high school! I took Biology, Chem, AP Chem and AP Bio in that order. Towards the end I was slogging through; perhaps because it was audio? I might have paid more attention if I was working on a knitting project while listening as opposed to doing chores around the house. There are other books of his that I still want to try and read his other books, as well as some from Stephen Hawking and Michio Kaku.

Rating: 3 out of 5, only because it was a hard listen in terms of concentration.

Dear Girls: Oh my good this is laugh out loud HILARIOUS. At times, Ali Wong is a bit crude even for my own sarcastic, salty humor, but when she dug deep particularly in the chapters about going to Vietnam and her heritage, I appreciated that perspective. In fact, I kept asking Mel questions about his take on being Asian in America compared to Ali Wong's experience - his take is unique since he grew up in the Philippines & Australia and then moved here in 1998. The most immediately hilarious takeaway was her breakdown on how to tell if Asian restaurants were good or not - according to Mel, the Filipino one is true, and we definitely used the advice in regards to a new Japanese restaurant that we wanted to check out.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 - hearing her talk about exposing body parts got a bit much to me, but otherwise it was definitely an insightful and entertaining memoir. Definitely go watch her Netflix specials - I have not seen "Baby Cobra," but "Hard Knock Wife" just speaks to me so much, now that I am a mom ("Lobby Baby" by Seth Meyers is also similar in that wife/mom vein and just as hilarious, but it's from a guy's perspective).

Now currently reading/listening to:

Stiff (audio): I am almost done with it (the gist is that is nonfiction; about cadavers and what happens to them in various settings). I listen in the car on the way to work and its pretty interesting.

Wallis in Love: Oh man is everyone paying attention to the crazy news from Harry and Meghan? I definitely am - Town and Country, and Elizabeth Holmes are my go tos for Royal news with additional more level coverage from BBC and some UK news outlets. I have to confess in light of the Australian fires and the news in the Middle East, the royal news is all I can really stomach.

Reading this now in light of the crazy is pretty interesting and insightful. I am at the part where Wallis is getting more entrenched in the royal circle; since I also watch The Crown, I am really looking forward to seeing where truth and fiction diverge and intersect again particularly in the context of Wallis and the Duke of Windsor.

I usually try and have 3 books going: 1 audio, 1 physical and 1 digital - I currently do not have a digital loan and thats ok! In an effort to commit this year, I also need to know what my limits are to maximize enjoyment out of what I can do. If that is just 2 books at a time, that's fine. I love reading and I am so excited to get back more into it this year.

What is everyone reading or listening to now? Share your recommendations - I would love to get more ideas for books!

No comments