A Valentine to My Wardrobe Essentials

A few weeks ago, I came across a post on closet essentials, and it just irked me the wrong way a bit. It listed a v neck tshirt and a motorcycle jacket as one of the must haves a wardrobe should have, and I thought to myself, "Not me." 

Yes, it is meant be a guide, but at the same time, I worry that those kinds of posts promote this particular idea that these essentials that the post listed out are the be all to end all, and continues to promote this fast fashion culture. 

So I figured I would ignore that post, and figure out what my own essentials are. Will they be an inspiration to others? Maybe not. But it's more about the thought process and thinking about why something becomes an essential, not just because of the type of item, but more about the quality, construction and the fit.
Talbots is quickly becoming a staple brand in my closet, and I love how it is slowly creeping into my wardrobe. They are really rocking it these pst few seasons, making good quality clothes that work for a wide demographic. The quality is great too, which makes the pieces worth the investment, and becoming such an essential part of my wardrobe. 

For example, their Authentic Talbots Striped Shirts and Tees hit at the right spot for me, which is slightly at or below the hip. The one I am wearing above is over a year old, gone through multiple washes and still looks new with no pilling, and the heart appliqué is not curling either. Talk about durability! 
That is one of the first things that I take into consideration for something to be deemed an "essential," the fit and the quality of the fabric. A striped shirt can be the best striped shirt ever, but if the fabric is poor, the stitching weak (I stretch and twist and turn in the dressing room), and even if the price is right, I will walk away from it.

Going through the new arrivals definitely made me go all heart eyed; what was great was that I found pieces that definitely reflect what makes up essentials in my wardrobe: 
Chambray/Denim Shirt (one): Dress it up with a printed pencil skirt, wear it with white, black, dark blue jeans, and layered under a Dudley Stephens fleece (I like the Brighton Boatnecks for layering).

Fit & Flare Shirtdress (two): Works well for hourglass shapes, and can wear with flats or heels! I love shirtdresses because of their versatility for work and weekend. 

Block Heel Sandal (three): speaking of heels, love that this block heel makes it more comfortable to wear heels while teaching! The Rattan color makes it work with pretty much everything. 

Flat (four): For when you need a break from the block heels - and the keyhole back adds a unique twist. I run my MegaBabe Thigh Chafe Stick along the back of my heel and the top of my toes to prevent blisters. 

Camel Sweater (five): camel is such a big part of my wardrobe now - it goes with anything. I like that the garter stitch at the yoke of the sweater and the buttons add a subtle detail from the rest of the stockinette body, and make it different from a regular crewneck sweater. 

Striped Shirt (six & seven): camel on one and a cute chambray bow on the other? Sold. I can wear these with skinny jeans and wide leg pants. The length is perfect. 

Ponte Dress (eight): I am still on the lookout for a great black ponte dress that I can wear to work, and dress up for the weekend or for an event. Definitely want to try this one on. 

Jersey Dress (nine): I really like the tie back detail. This is one for more casual days at school, and for the weekend with white sneakers (I love my Superga ones). 

Printed Button Down (ten): This is great for Valentine's Day and after! I love a printed button down.

Going through this list made me think about what my essentials are: thicker shirts that hit me at the hip, shirtdresses, pencil skirts, skinny jeans, stripes, layers, and overall, small details that take a classic item and makes it unique, and updates it at the same time. I can see myself wearing these pieces now, and even ten years down the line. 

What are your essentials, and why? Let me know! 

No comments