Make it With Michaels: Holiday Home Tour Part 1

Today I am really excited to share the first part of my holiday home tour, the dining room and kitchen!
Light Fixture & End Chairs: Restoration Hardware (we live right near the outlet) * Dining Table: World Market * Dining Chairs: vintage from my godmother's dining set * Ginger Jars: Pier 1 * Faux Floral: Michaels * Console Table: Handmade * Curtains: Pottery Barn, no longer on site, but would love to also get these * Canvas Photo Print: Meteora from our trip to Greece in 2014. 

I inherited the crafting bug from my mom, and always love trying to replicate high end looks on a DIY budget. I draw a lot of inspiration from Instagram, and the Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma Home catalogs. 
This is especially the case for the holidays; the decorations are amazing and make everything so cheery especially when it gets dark earlier in the day, but let's be honest: they are up for a short amount of time. I want to maximize the impact, but do it within a budget.

I really like going to Michaels for all of my craft supplies and for the seasonal decor - in recent years, I think they have become a bit more competitive. Between their deals and the teacher discount, I get about 90% of the trimmings, ribbons and pieces to make decor from there, and supplement with sales and trips to HomeGoods for larger pieces.

This year, I think I finally cracked it. Since we moved into the house, I have been experimenting with various decor styles and trying to find what works for me. This year I included my blue and white ginger jar/chinoiserie collection and I LOVE it. It's classic, timeless and also updated at the same time.

The blue and white give it a bit of a pop against the red and green of the rest of the decor and works so well with the additional plaid accents I added in the house. I will talk more about this tomorrow when I share the living room decor!
Dough bowl (similar): Target  * Porcelain Balls: HomeGoods * Mercury Glass Ornaments: Pottery Barn

The first floor of our house is an open floor plan (excluding the study and powder room), so you see everything all at once. We chose our floor plan because it was one of the only two in our neighborhood that had a dedicated dining room; we like to host parties, so having a dining room was important as it gave us more space for entertaining.

I wanted a little bit of cohesion within the entirety of the space, especially as you go from the dining room, into the living room and finally the kitchen - for example, the little berry garlands you see wrapped around the dining room light fixture are also on the pendant lights over our island (not pictured; it was a mess when I took these photos).
Berry Garland (similar): Michaels

This year, I really got lucky in the floral department; when I went to my local Michaels to get ideas for filling the ginger jars, I stumbled upon the clearance bin FILLED with the fall floral arrangements!

I picked up two bouquets (you see it below with the white roses and the feather) and deep red chrysanthemums and hydrangea all at 80% off (tip: wander around the store to find the clearance bins, I happened to stumble across the clearance fall floral over in the back away from the seasonal floral).

Together with poinsettias and some holiday picks I had from previous years of collecting holiday decor (and some blue ranunculus to connect to to the blue of the ginger jar) I made these arrangements for the larger ginger jars:
Add a little bit of plaid ribbon to the galvanized houses I placed in the kitchen (ours are from Target, inspiration from Pottery Barn) and it makes a simple, but effective look for the kitchen that adds holiday cheer, but keeps clear from the cooking action:
We opted not to do the decorative backsplash behind the stove when we built our house, so when I found this fun wooden sign at HomeGoods, I couldn't resist putting it there in lieu of it. I used heavy duty command strips to mount it without damaging the tile and to ensure it doesn't fall (and hasn't since I put it up!)

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post, where I discuss the inspiration behind the mantel garland!

No comments