Reflections on No Shop January

No Shop January is over and while I didn't quite go cold turkey, it definitely forced me to pause and think back on what I purchase, why I purchase it and what influences me to purchase things.
Wore this sweater to work, weekend and out with my sister to Death & Co. Long term style win, 
even though the purchase happened in January. Earrings are vintage (my mom's from the '80s!)

I am committing to a No Buy February along with some others to help continue developing the habit of not running to a store every time something goes on sale, and definitely trying to take stock of what I have already and coming up with new combinations.


Here are some reflections and things I learned about myself and shopping habits:

WHAT I PURCHASE: I am trying really hard to not indulge in yet another striped shirt, no matter how amazing the ones from Talbots are. I love them because the fabric is high quality and the length is great, but do I need them in a million colors? Or do I need it right this second? Can I wait and budget more responsibly for it?

I asked myself these questions  during a recent Dudley Stephens drop - I live in those fleeces, so the cost per wear and investment means I get a high return on them.

I love supporting a women-owned business that is sustainable and makes their product in NYC. But, it just was not in the budget for the month, so as I told my sister, I will wait till I have money set aside for it (Cobalt Park Slope, I have my eye on you!) as opposed to just rushing to get it and then worrying about the monthly budget after.

I am also trying to save long term for investment pieces - for example, my next bag purchase is definitely going to be something more "ladylike," like a crossbody purse with a top handle. I have one in mind, but I am going to wait on it, because it definitely falls into the investment category (and I need to do more research and see it in person before I go for it).

WHY I PURCHASE: I admit, it's that rush of dopamine, that pleasing brain chemical when something comes on sale. It's the thrill of finding something on J.Crew that I was stalking for months when it was sold out, then it was in stock but not on sale, on sale but sold out in my size and then HURRAY! I found it on sale, in my size and it works.

I need to work more on getting that rush through other means. The satisfaction of working on my hobbies is definitely helping there, as well as trying to outfit combinations that I never would have thought of before.

Dopamine aside, I also am trying to think of why I would want this item - is it a replacement? Is it to fulfill a need, as opposed to a want? I say need lightly because while I do not need a black ponté
dress, it definitely would be a very functional and versatile piece of my wardrobe.

I also try and ask myself if it can work for school and for the weekend. If it can also work going out, then thats a bonus too. Case in point: the J.Crew Beaded Clasp sweater - I can dress it down for the weekend with jeans and white sneakers, wear it to work with the Peyton lace pants and flats and then dress it up for a date night with black jeans, a strong red lip, big earrings and heels. That is definitely a win and what qualifies in my book as versatile and functional. I want to be more careful in that respect.

HOW I AM INFLUENCED: This is something that is all over the place, I think. I love following bloggers on instagram definitely for the inspiration, but again, I needed to take a step back and also take stock of what I own. Lately, I have been saving images from my favorite follows on Instagram and ask myself, can I recreate that with what I have? Maybe that can be a series on the blog - just need a good title for it!
Have a striped shirt and coral Tippi sweater - influenced by J.Crew, but using what I have. 
It's ok that I do not have grey joggers, I'll pair the tops with something I already own!

That's what makes this whole process fun as well - I got to try new things that I would not have considered before, like a rollneck sweater with crop pants on milder days, or an all white look with a scarf.
Too good to not repeat - one of my favorite outfits from last month. I have a lighter blue scarf for the Spring, and will swap out the shoes for sandals when it gets warmer out. 

I also try to not be influenced too much and avoid things like "10 Closet Essentials for Your Zodiac Sign." A leather motorcycle jacket is definitely not on the docket, and I should not go out there and get one because it was listed as a "must have."

This requires a little bit of metacognition and awareness of what works because at the end of the day, I am my own person, and so is everyone else. I want to make essentials work for me, and if others like that too, great! Thats why it's fun to work with and chat with others and share ideas.

How did everyone else's No Shop January Go? Anyone up for No Shop February?

No comments